Web Content Viewer
Common Questions

The Ohio Department of Aging is located at 246 N. High St./1st Fl., Columbus, Ohio.

Local aging services and supports are administered by 12 area agencies on aging located around the state.

Find the area agencies on aging serving your community.

Ask anywhere you spend money about a Golden Buckeye discount, senior discount or other discount for which you may qualify (e.g., veterans, disability). Some participating merchants will display the Golden Buckeye Card logo on doors, windows and at the cash register, but many do not.

Most cardholders find savings by asking. While businesses of all sizes participate, the best place to find Golden Buckeye discounts is often at locally owned, small businesses.

You can also check out recently added or updated businesses and our seasonal business spotlights to find examples of the types of businesses that might honor the card.

Learn about Golden Buckeye.

Explore our Older Americans Month section to learn more about how we celebrate older adults every year. You'll also find this year's theme.

The Staying Connected Check-In Service is a free program of the Ohio Department of Aging that provides a daily, automated check-in call for older Ohioans who sign up. Any state resident age 60 or older with current mobile or landline phone service can participate.

Learn more about the Staying Connected Check-In Service.

An ombudsman is an advocate. Ohio’s Office of the State Long-term Care Ombudsman advocates for people receiving home care, assisted living, and nursing home care.

Learn about the Office of the State Long-Term Care Ombudsman.

Learn how an ombudsman can help you.

If you or a loved one has an immediate care need, contact your area agency on aging. Staff there can go over your situation and needs with you and help connect you to local resources for help.

Call 1-866-243-5678 to be connected to the area agency on aging serving your community.

Discharge from a nursing home is among the top complaints the Office of the State Long-Term Care Ombudsman receives. An ombudsman can help you work with your facility to find a solution.

Learn about the ombudsman.

Learn about residents' rights regarding transfer and discharge.

If you feel that you or someone you know is in immediate danger of harm from abuse, neglect or exploitation, call local law enforcement immediately.

For other types of abuse where harm may not be an immediate threat, who to call may depend on the setting or type of abuse.

Report elder abuse.

Know what information you'll need to make a good report.

We accept nominations year-round via this website. Induction is held each year in May.

Learn more about the Ohio Senior Citizens Hall of Fame.

Most Ohio residents with a valid Ohio Driver License or ID card will receive their Golden Buckeye Card automatically around the month of their 60th birthdays. Individuals who do not receive their cards automatically should call 1-866-301-6446 during normal business hours to check that we have your correct mailing address.

If you are under the age of 60 and qualify due to disability, or if you are over age 60 and do not have a Driver License or state ID card, you can apply for a Golden Buckeye card at most senior centers and public libraries. Please call ahead to ensure they have applications on-hand. Take with you proof of age and residency.

Learn more about getting a Golden Buckeye Card.

The Golden Buckeye Program is open to any willing business who agrees to the program's terms of participation.

Get started by completing our online Business Participation Agreement.

Ohio's aging network offers many resources to help individuals stay connected to their community and prevent social isolation, including our Staying Connected Check-In Service.

Learn more.

Your area agency on aging can help connect you with available nutrition services in your community.

Call 1-866-243-5678 to be connected to the agency on aging serving your community.

In some cases, participants in our PASSPORT Medicaid home-care waiver program may be able to select and hire their own care workers. Not all family members qualify, and training and certification requirements may apply.

Spouses, parents, step-parents, authorized representatives, legally responsible family members, power of attorney, foster caregiver, authorizing health care professionals, and legal guardians are not eligible to be a consumer-directed provider.

PASSPORT Consumer-Directed Service Options

Provider Certification

Your community may offer programs that help older adults make essential trips to medical appointments, business errands, shopping, and other activities.

Learn about transportation assistance.

We couldn't answer your question?

Let us help you find the answer you are looking for. Contact us.