STEADY U Ohio is a comprehensive falls prevention initiative led by the Ohio Department of Aging and supported by Ohio government and state business partners to strengthen existing falls prevention activities, identify opportunities for new initiatives and coordinate a statewide educational campaign to bring falls prevention to the forefront of planning for individuals, families, health care providers, business and community leaders and all Ohioans. Strategies include:
- Launch www.steadyu.ohio.gov to serve as the source of falls prevention information and resources in Ohio;
- Expand statewide the evidence-based A Matter of Balance education and exercise program, which helps elders increase their activity level and reduce their fear of falling;
- Give healthcare providers a toolkit they can use to conduct falls risk assessments of their older patients.
- Help stores, restaurants and other businesses become “fall-free zones” by identifying and addressing slips, trips and falls hazards.
- Help nursing homes evaluate their lighting and other environmental factors to identify and address falls risks.
- Partner with the Alzheimer’s Association Ohio Chapters to implement strategies to reduce falls in this high-risk population.
- Make a falls risk assessment a core part of the state’s home and community based Medicaid waiver programs.