The following information is intended to help providers prepare for and respond to COVID-19. For specific health guidance, consult your local public health officials, visit coronavirus.ohio.gov, or call 1-833-427-5634.
Reopening Order and Guidance
- Amended Director’s Order on the Opening of Adult Day Care Services and Senior Centers (effective 10/17/2020): Ohio Department of Health
- Summary of Changes: Amended Director's Order (effective 10/17/2020)
- Frequently Asked Questions: Amended Director's Order (effective 10/17/2020)
- Responsible RestartOhio: Adult Day & Senior Centers (9/1/2020)
- Ohio Nursing Facility Based Waiver Programs Adult Day Service Reopening (9/22/2020): Ohio Departments of Aging and Medicaid
Coronavirus Relief Funding Opportunity
The State of Ohio is distributing Coronavirus Relief Funds provided to the state from the US Department of Treasury as part of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act ("CARES Act"). The Ohio Department of Aging is accepting applications to provide critically needed economic support and grants to Adult Day Service Facilities and Senior Centers who were impacted by public health orders and increased costs due to the pandemic. These funds will be distributed through the Ohio Office of Budget and Management at the direction of the Ohio Department of Aging.
The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted providers across our state, and these payments are therefore necessary expenditures to compensate for business interruptions and to comply with health orders and related response activities necessary due to the public health emergency. Adult Day Service Facilities and Senior Centers were required to discontinue in-person service delivery in March 2020 pursuant to the Health Director's order. On August 31, 2020, the Director of the Department of Health issued a revised order permitting facility based services to begin on September 21, 2020 if they meet certain safety standards, including reduced capacity and spacing, sanitation, signage and communication, facility standards, activity requirements and staffing protocols. Both types of facilities were impacted during the pandemic due to the high degree of susceptibility to COVID-19 and the congregate nature of the services provided to the public. Providers in this sector have incurred significant losses, continue to incur losses, and are experiencing additional costs due to the pandemic. Providers that are Adult Day Service Facilities and Senior Centers should apply for each separately.
The application period for relief funds is Oct. 16-31, 2020.
- Memo from Director Ursel McElroy to Executive Directors, Fiscal, and Program Leadership of Ohio's Adult Day Services and Senior Center Providers (Oct. 16, 2020): Ohio Department of Aging
- Coronavirus Relief Funding Opportunity Guidance for Adult Day Service and Senior Center Providers
- Ohio Grants Partnership: Funding Opportunities
Reopening Training and FAQ
- Oct. 16, 2020 Adult Day and Senior Center Webinar Presentation Slides
- Sept. 18, 2020 Adult Day and Senior Center Testing and Reporting Webinar Presentation Slides
- Adult Day Services Reopening Webinar Slides (9/14/2020)
- Senior Center Reopening Webinar Slides (9/14/2020)
- Opening of Adult Day Care Services - Frequently Asked Questions
- Opening of Senior Centers - Frequently Asked Questions
The state of Ohio has partnered with MAKO Medical to provide supported testing services for the state’s adult day service (ADS) and senior center facilities. Through this program, ADS and senior center facilities will receive support with testing including: training, access to test kits, lab capacity, and testing.
The links below will assist ADS and senior center leaders with accessing these testing resources and provide background on how to order, schedule, and monitor test results. ADS and senior center facilities are to work directly with MAKO Medical to obtain test results and to track shipping. The state does not have access to that information.
Training and Additional Information:
- Ohio COVID-19 Testing Cycle and Reporting Period
- Ohio COVID-19 Reporting Tool
- MAKO Fact Sheet
- MAKO Checking Results
- MAKO COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions
- COVID-19 Anterior Nares Specimen Collection Tutorial
- Anterior Nares Collection Guide
- FedEx Express Shipping Instructions
If you have additional questions about testing not otherwise addressed in the Ohio Department of Health order, FAQ, and subsequent guidance, please contact the Ohio Department of Aging at COVIDTesting@age.ohio.gov.
- Director's Letter to Leaders of Ohio’s Senior Centers and Adult Day Centers: Ohio Department of Aging
- Checklist for Adult Day Centers and Senior Centers: Ohio Department of Aging
- Adult Day Health Service Guidance (7/10/2020): Ohio Departments of Aging and Medicaid
- Adult Day Service In-Home and Telephonic Service Checklist (7/10/2020): Ohio Departments of Aging and Medicaid