Web Content Viewer

PASSPORT Consumer-Directed Service Options

Image shows a seated olde woman holding the hand of  loved one who is standing behind her with her hand on her shoulder.

PASSPORT Consumer-Directed Service Options allow the PASSPORT consumer more choice and control over how you receive your services. You or your authorized representative hire your own direct service workers from a Choices-Home Care Attendant Service (C-HCAS) or Personal Care Service.

  • C-HCAS: You train the worker on initial service tasks and provide ongoing training. Additional training can be required, if needed. You negotiate your worker's hourly pay rate with care manager input.
  • Personal Care Service: The worker must be certified as an STNA, HHA, or have completed a 60-hour ODA-approved training program and 12 hours of continuing education, annually. The worker works for the state-contracted hourly pay rate.

With both options, you and your care manager agree that a consumer directed service plan is right for you. The two of you, then, develop your care plan. From there, you recruit, hire, and training your workers. The care worker cannot be a parent, step-parent, spouse, guardian, power of attorney, or durable power of attorney. You also manage, schedule, supervise, and if necessary, fire your workers.

You will receive training to help you direct your own services. You and your care manager work together with the financial management service to track service hours and payroll.

Consumer Direction is optional, voluntary and not appropriate for everyone. With both service options, you or your authorized representative must be to advocate for yourself, know your rights, monitor quality, communicate, and solve problems. Self-directed care may be right for you if you agree with any of these statements:

  • I am satisfied with the home and community-based services that help me so I can continue living in the community.
  • I have special health needs (e.g., memory impairment, chronic health problem or disability) or cultural needs (e.g., language) that could be better met by a service where I can use workers that I know, like my family or friends.
  • My life could be improved if I had more control over my services and could hire workers that I know and tell them what to do and when.
  • I can describe how taking responsibility for my services will benefit me.
  • I am interested in managing the help that I need so I can live in the community.
  • I can write out a plan, on my own or with help, for the activities that help me stay in the community.
  • I can take on the responsibility as an employer of finding, hiring, and managing workers myself or if someone helped me.
  • I know someone who can help me with the responsibility of being an employer, if needed.

Your PASSPORT Administrative Agency can help you better understand self-directed care options.