10 Million Steps to Prevent Falls
For the second year in a row, the STEADY U Initiative is calling on all Ohioans to help us take "10 Million Steps to Prevent Falls." Getting 15-30 minutes of physical activity every day is one of the most basic things you or a loved one can do to reduce your risk of falling. Walking strengthens muscles, improves balance and increases stamina, all of which can make you steadier on your feet. Any time in September (National Falls Prevention Awareness Month), join us by walking at least one mile in the name of falls prevention.
- Groups - Gather a group of friends, co-workers, colleagues, community organizations, sports teams, classrooms, congregations and others and take a one-mile walk in the name of falls prevention. Once your group has walked, report your contribution.
- Individuals - Take a one-mile walk and post a selfie of your efforts to social media using the hashtags #PreventFalls and #10MStepsOH. (Facebook users, be sure to set your post privacy to "public," or post directly to our Facebook page.) Posts will be counted toward the state's goal.
Find an event in your community
Community organizations: You can help us reach our goal by hosting a local falls prevention awareness walk in September. Learn more...
Report your participation
Take a falls risk self-assessment.
Did you know...?
- Falls are the leading cause of injury-related hospitalization and death among Ohioans aged 65 and older
- An older Ohioan falls every two minutes on average, resulting in an injury every five minutes, six emergency department visits and one hospitalization each hour, and three deaths each day.
- Approximately 15 percent of Ohio citizens are age 65 or older, yet this group accounts for more than 84 percent of fatal falls.
- The total estimated cost of falls (medical costs, work loss) is $646 million annually in Ohio, or $1.8 million each day.
- Falls are not a normal part of aging, and most falls can be prevented!
It Takes Everyone
Most falls in older adults can be prevented. A person's risk for falls goes down the minute he or she stops being afraid of falling. Preventing falls for every older Ohioan will take a community approach.
Everyone - from the individual and his family, to doctors and nurses, to business owners and managers, to community leaders and more - has a role to play in preventing falls. It's like the old saying goes, "united we stand, divided we fall." What's your role in preventing falls in Ohio?
If you wish to become involved in the STEADY U initiative, contact us or subscribe to be notified of opportunities. Opportunities include community falls prevention coalitions, serving as a lay leader in the A Matter of Balance Program, and more.
Falls Prevention in the News
About STEADY U Ohio
STEADY U Ohio is a statewide collaborative falls prevention initiative, supported by Ohio government and state business partners to ensure that every county, every community and every Ohioan knows how they can prevent falls, one step at a time. This website is the source in Ohio for falls prevention information, tools and other resources.
Subscribe to receive tips and resources that can help you reduce the risk of falls for yourself or a loved one. Enter your email address below or text "STEADYUOHIO" to 22828 to subscribe using your smart phone.
"Like" this page and tell your friends to prevent falls, one step at a time!
Tell your friends to prevent falls, one step at a time!